Introduction To Sociology
This course provides a general introduction to the study of human society. It is designed to familiarize the student with the basic concepts and explanations commonly utilized within the major areas of sociological investigation. The course begins by exploring some of the major definitions in the discipline; discuss what constitutes the sociological enterprise and the historical origin of sociology.
The course aims at helping a fresh student in the discipline to grasp the major and common concepts used. The course will help students appreciate how social forces shape their interests, choices, values and behaviors.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:-
- Apply key sociological theories to current news events and everyday life
- Engage in reflective practice regarding individual experiences and decisions
- Demonstrate an understanding of the key critical debates in the field
- Understand the historical development of the discipline and its place within contemporary society
- Identify how sexual orientation, disability, race, social class, age and gender are intertwined with current understandings of everyday life