The course will present theories of career development to help students understand how individuals make career choices and their vocational behaviour. It will also discuss issues related to job loss and career development, and application of different theoretical frameworks and techniques when counselling clients on career planning and management.
This course aims at helping students recognize the evolving career needs of students and adult workers, and prepares them to conduct career guidance and development activities suitable for their clients.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of the course students should be able to:-
- Explain the meaning of different terms important in career / life development.
- Explain and discuss the factors that affect occupational choice and vocational development.
- Describe the different theories of career development and their implications on career choice today.
- Explain the different types of information that are disseminated, activities, functions of vocational / career guidance.
- Describe changes (career) in midlife, emotional difficulties and the strategies for effective career changes.