Human Sexuality Counseling
This course explores the relationship between mental health and human sexuality, and the role of the professional counselor in sex counseling. It further explores therapist values, attitudes, and beliefs about sexuality and sexual behavior, and promotes practitioner self-awareness and self-reflection about the intersection of the personal and professional in counseling clients for sexuality related issues.; an understanding of the varied sexuality issues which may be encountered in professional counseling practice; students’ skills in assessment and intervention skills with sexuality issues; and increased awareness of one’s personal perceptions, attitudes and affect related to sexuality issues.
The course is designed to develop students’ knowledge base related to human sexuality
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of this course, students should be able to;
- Analyze the many facets of human sexuality and promotion of healthy knowledge and attitudes in relation to sexuality in both preventive and intervention.
- Help clients to desensitize to the issues related to human sexuality which historically has been a taboo topic in our society and to understand the impact of culture on sexuality attitudes and behaviors.
- Develop and improve their clinical interviewing, assessment and counseling skills related to sexuality issues.
- Should gain a reflection about their own sexuality and the impact this has on their own life, both as an individual and in an intimate relationship.
- Acquired knowledge of the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of sexuality related concerns in counseling including the paraphilias, sexual dysfunctions and relationship issues.
- Gained knowledge in the evaluation and treatment of sexual problems, and in when and how to properly refer clients to appropriate treatment.