Advertising Copy Layout
The course is intended to introduce mass communication students into the realms of advertising layout and management. Advertising is a practical affair; the course will touch on the dynamic nature of the field, with a contemporary view of the role and importance of advertising in the economy. While marketing drives products and services towards the consumer, advertising helps the consumer towards the product at the point of sale.
Therefore, the course will make students appreciates the importance of advertising mainly to those who need or want to be effective advertisers and communicators. Thus its likely that at some stage most of us want to advertise a product, a service or an event and we always need to do it regularly. All this is possible with good planning hence the course will also take a step further to look at the dilemma of designing advertising budgets, advertising campaigns and evaluation of advertising.
This course is designed to give advertising students an understanding of how to plan and execute a variety of advertising messages. Five major areas will be covered. First, how to use research on audiences and the marketplace to craft effective advertising messages. Second, how to develop concepts and define strategic approaches. Third, how to work with type, logos, headlines, body copy, and other fundamental elements of advertising design. Fourth, how to design various advertisements including magazine, out- of- home, business– to- business, product placement, radio, television, cause marketing, guerilla marketing, and others. Fifth, how to use Adobe Photoshop and other software to create advertising messages.
After the course is over, students will be able to:
- Conduct research to understand audiences,
- Utilize thumbnails and storyboards to marketplace, and other information useful for plan advertising messages and develop advertising messages.
- Draft, design, and revise various types of advertisements including
- Draft a creative strategy statement and creative brief for an advertising campaign.
- Utilize concepting techniques to transform strategy into a creative concept
- Understand type terminology and the various methods of manipulating type such as Social Media, Tablet, and Abstract Advertising •
- Design various types of logos
- Construct effective headlines, taglines, slogans, body software to design advertising copy, and other written advertising content and messages.
- Understand how planning, creating, and evaluation • Create digital optimized advertising advertising content for traditional and new platforms content for mobile platforms share similarities but also differ.
EXPECTED LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of the course unit students should be able to;
- Conceptualization of advertising-definitions, process, forms, aims, qualities, functions, criticisms.
- Design advertisement messages and campaigns
- Describe the media plan and Message strategies
- Explain the importance and challenges of advertising to the economy and society
- Examine the Situation advertising in humanities field than social science field
- Become professional copy advertisement writers
- Explain advertising to business laws
- Describe how advertising works in the global village
- Describe the execution of advertising messages