This course unit is mainly intended to give students an opportunity to learn about the mechanical and intellectual skills used to prepare newspaper content for publication. First, it is designed to enable students to get a grasp of important editing processes. These include writing headlines and captions, improving copy through careful word editing and story organization, and understanding writing mechanisms such as grammar, punctuation, word usage and spelling. Secondly, the course is designed to enable students to appreciate the essence of revision of draft to attain clarity, style and toning of material.
This course is designed to give students a basic understanding of journalism and newspaper writing techniques. Students will write, edit and layout different issues both in print and in an online version as well as submit various news articles to university established newspapers
Students will develop their writing abilities and editing skills by creating several articles under the guidance of their lecturer.
They will also develop skills in photography and comic drawing.
- To write effectively for a variety of audiences, purposes and occasions.
- To develop skills needed for visual communication.
- To develop speaking, listening, viewing and critical thinking skills.
- To use current technology to enhance learning.
- To produce quality issues different newspapers
- Practice ethical journalism.
- Meet deadlines on time.
- Understand, appreciate and develop skills in photojournalism.
EXPECTED LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of the course unit students should be able to;
- Identify and discuss the theoretical concepts and practical skills that will help them to become informed news processors and consumers.
- Explain specific steps involved in newspaper editing
- Discuss content and structural design of a news paper print