Journalism has undergone significant changes in recent past, mainly due to technological advancement. Journalism has progressed from the printing press to the telegraph to radio, to television, to cable and now to the computer age.
PURPOSE OF COURSE
Over the last two decades, advances in media technologies, corporate structure and organization of public life have demanded changes in the practice of journalism. This course therefore focuses on the use of multimedia tools such as computers, internet, digital audio recorders, video recorders, cameras and GSM phones to tell stories and their effects on journalism’s role in society. It will also introduce you to the techniques of journalism in digital media and offer you conceptual tools with which to join the fray. The class will also include lectures on new-media themes, such as the security and ethical challenges of publishing online; the characteristics that distinguish news Web sites from print and broadcast media; and guidelines for doing research on the Internet
The main objectives of this course are to:
- Introduce the learners to online journalism
- Examine the social, cultural, political, legal and economic influence of online journalism in the field of journalism
- Analyse the role of this field of journalism in the society
- Introduce learners to critical essay writing, and to analyse the role of online media within the broader journalist perspective.
EXPECTED LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of the course unit students should be able to;
- Become familiar with online journalism around the world
- Demonstrate a clear understanding and articulation of the field of online journalism through scholarly writing and presentations relative to the course contents
- Identify the unique features of news Web sites – such as multimedia, and interactive chats and blogs.
- Become familiar with multimedia and interactivity and how they are used to tell a story online
- Create blogs and update it weekly
- Participate in Social media by creating Facebook and Twitter accounts and posting tweets regularly using retweets and hash tags
- Master the tips and techniques for gathering reliable information on the internet