Family Services And Law
Course Content and Outline
Overview of Family Services and Law (3CH)
- Definition of the family
- The nature of family
- Kinship unit
- Nuclear family
- Extended family
- Modified extended family
- History of child and family services
Structures and function of the family (3CH)
- Structures of the family
- Review of family organization theory
- Basic models of family organization theory and practice
- Theoretical concepts and practice techniques utilized to assess family functioning
- Adequate family functioning
Family services (9CH)
- Historical development of family services
- Indigenous social and community family services
-Contemporary approaches to family services
- Elements of family services
- Rationale for family services
- Major issues of family services
Forms of family services (9CH)
Traditional or basic family welfare services
- Health services
- Housing and shelter
- Welfare services
Actors in Delivery of Family services (12CH)
- Partnerships and collaboration
- NGOs Etc.
Child Welfare Systems and the Law (3CH)
- Child protection
- Child well being
- Problems with conventional social work and child welfare methods
Delivery of Family services (3CH)
- Challenges in providing family services
Family Assessment and Intervention (4CH)
- Family diagnosis and treatment.
- Theoretical concepts and practice techniques utilized to assess family functioning,
- Therapeutic systems and processes of family development and positive change.
- Suggested resolutions
Family Preservation versus Child Protection (4CH)
- The legal mechanisms of the family.
- Organize therapeutic systems and facilitate processes of family development and positive change
Child Abuse and Neglect Intervention Projects (3CH)
- Problems with conventional social work and child welfare projects
Family Welfare and Social Work (3CH)
- Family welfare problems,
- The system of family welfare,
- Its interrelationships with direct practice and the delivery of services.
Legal mechanisms of the family (3CH)
- An overview of the family and the legal system
- Different legal, political and economic conceptions vs. Shaping family and programs, and social work practice.
- Major policy issues that relate to families.
- Policies and Strategies for family Intervention practice at both the macro and micro levels.
Generalist social work roles in child and family services (3CH)
- Working with Families: A Cross Cultural Perspective
- Dynamics of Family Violence
- Human Services & Family Court System
- Social Welfare Policy Teaching, learning and assessing communication skills with children and young people in social work education
- Linking Processes to Outcomes in Integrated Children's Services
- Evaluation of Family Support for Disabled Children and Their Families
TEACHING METHODS/MODE OF DELIVERY
- Traditional lecture method.
- Problem solving using case studies
- Group work and discussions
INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS AND OR EQUIPMENT
- LCD Projectors
- Whiteboard and Markers
- Overhead projectors
- Flip charts
- CD’s, DVDs and Tapes