KIU, Western campus – The Kabaka of Buganda, Ronald Muwenda Mutebi II celebrates his 66th birthday today, April 13. Whereas most of us know him or have even seen him before, there are a few important facts we may not know about arguably Uganda’s most renowned monarch.
Here are a few;
1. His full names are Ronald Edward Frederick Kimera Muwenda Mutebi II.
2. He was appointed as UNAIDS Goodwill Ambassador for Ending AIDS among men in Eastern and Southern Africa with a special focus on Buganda Kingdom.
3. While in exile he worked as Associate Editor of the magazine African Concord and a member of the Executive Committee of the African National Congress (ANC) in London.
4. The Kabaka has five children, who are; Prince Savio Muwenda or Juunju Suuna, princess Joan Nassolo, Princess Victoria Nkinzi, Princess Katrina Sarah Kirabo Ssangalyambogo and Prince Richard Ssemakookiro.
5. As the head of the Buganda kingdom, he owns Nkuluze Trust, which runs the following kingdom properties: Buganda Land Board, which is responsible for kingdom land and other land matters, K2 Telecom, which is a telecommunication company, BBS Television, which is a kingdom TV, CBS FM, Majestic Brands, which deals in selling royal products, Ngule beer in collaboration with Uganda Breweries Ltd, Muganzirwazza Plaza, a commercial building in Katwe, a suburb of the Ugandan capital Kampala, Masengere building another building, which also houses Kingdom Television.
Well, there you go. Am sure you have learned a thing or two more about the Kabaka.
Happy birthday to His Royal Highness the Kabaka from the KIU community!