By Rogers Wanambwa
KIU, Main Campus – President Yoweri Museveni has maintained most of the restrictions that have been in place to combat COVID-19.
Restrictions on public gatherings, closure of education institutions, boda-bodas ferrying people, mobile markets, saloons and arcades have been kept in place, with the only notable relaxation of restrictions being opening travel in some border districts. The 7:00 pm-6:30 am curfew was also maintained but private cars were allowed to carry an extra passenger.
He said this during his latest presidential address to the nation on COVID-19 yesterday, June 22.
According to the president, Uganda has done exceedingly well in managing the virus and he thanked God and the health workers for that.
He said that according to the Ministry of Health, Uganda has so far conducted 171,000 tests and from these, only 774 were found positive for COVID-19. This translates to 0.45% of the whole number. Also, of the 774 who had tested positive, 631 recoveries have been made by the time he was addressing the nation. This translates to 81% of all the positive cases. This, he said, made him very happy.
However, he maintained that Ugandans should continue following all the restrictions and safety measures to see to it that we continue on this trajectory.